Friday, December 15, 2006

Bipolar Spending And The Highs And The Lows Of Depression It Brings

I have a cycle that goes over a two week period. This week I paid $435 in bills and rent out of $500 in income allocated for me for the next two weeks. It is now three days later and I have $25.00 left and I look like I will need a miracle to get me through. But I know next week I will get and extra $30 and I am so used to living with no money I have a peace about me.

Many people with Bipolar go on a big spending spree every time they get paid. We just can’t help it. I spent forty five dollars on a movie and take away food and on coffees today. This would be better invested in other things like groceries, but I am Bipolar and stupid like that and I so enjoyed myself.

Sure I am on medication and taking it at the right time, but this spending habit is something that seems beyond my control. I enjoy four or five days and then I am lost and broke for the rest of the two weeks.

Then half way through the second week I start to get depressed. I promise myself I will save some money next fortnight and be silly and the next fortnight I spend it all in the first three days and am broke.

Seeing this is in the mental illness section you might not have read my other articles, but in some of my other articles I present as someone who is quite smart and intelligent but this bipolar spending is something that is out of control and makes me feel like a dummy.

Granted two of my bills were gas and electricity and only due once every few months, but I had a monthly phone bill of $160 and that is just way too much. That is just evidence of my elevated state in the last month as I have spent so much time on the phone ringing my interstate family.

I love my family but with a good Bible and a good relationship with God I should be able to get by with my faith, but no I spend hours on the phone ringing home and racking up a mammoth bill.